Aurora

Aurora
Aurora - the adventure begins...

Monday, June 5, 2017

Sacred Eels of Huahine

I was remiss not to mention the sacred eels of Huahine as it is important to report on all things sacred as we circumnavigate.  Well, we were minding our own business, trying not to get any road rash as we explored the shores of Huahine on our scooters and then – there it was – a road sign which read “Sacred Eels”.  How could we resist so we turned off and checked it out.  Sure enough there was a bunch of salt water eels (up to 4 foot in length) hanging out in a fresh water stream, and just waiting to delight any unfortunates silly enough to stop.  Not wanting to pass up the opportunity I climbed down to the stream and stuck the go pro under:





This big lad came straight for me and not knowing if they had teeth or not I shot back like a rocket.  Later when inspecting the video I surmised either he was an old guy and did not have his dentures in or they do not have teeth.  Either way I escaped further blood loss.  We subsequently found out they are sacred as they have blue eyes – a genetic anomaly.  Just though you need to know about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment